Monday, August 25, 2014

A Busy Schedule

The constant flow in and out of my room exhausted me . I couldn't just lie there and allow them to sit with me or talk at me . Maybe I needed to function in my role as pastor or felt some kind of obligation to entertain them . I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by asking him or her to leave or not to come .
Excerpt from 90 Minutes In Heaven .

One cannot rest in a hospital . The hospital staff dominate your mornings and afternoons . It's only the evenings that one is free , but then the family and friends take a turn . 

Early in the morning , you can hear the commotion of bursting activity outside one's room  . Doctors and interns surround your bedside in a sea of faces as they poke , exam and confer with one another on what to do next. 

" How are you feeling today ? "

You find yourself repeating over and over again the same response  as one group leaves and another enters . Nurses efficiently float in and out your room performing labs , taking blood pressure  and temperatures , bringing medication right on schedule . 

Then we have what I like to call the early morning daily visitors filled with questions :

Would you like a paper ?  
Will you be taking communion this morning ?
Perhaps a visit from a priest/pastor ?
Would you like to place your meal orders ?
Are you ready for your walk ?

Oh , I walked . I walked after breakfast , before lunch /after lunch , before dinner/after dinner and before bed . I walked those hospital hallways and sat staring out the window at the traffic below . 

Around mid-morning , x-rays and Ct scans were on the agenda . After lunch , occupational nurse and therapy . Another round with my oncologist and his groupies . Then the oncologist's assistant and his groupies . Finally , we end with the resident on call with his groupies . 

Supper . Friends and family make a visit , in case  we are lonely bearing gifts . Phone calls happen all through the day . Mine usually began around 7 a.m. and if I didn't answer , whoever was on the line , would call the nurse's desk worried I might have passed . Obviously , they haven't seen my schedule . 

I know I'm being funny , but I really  am Blessed to have so many people who love me . They have continually shown their support and I certainly hope that everyone can see the humor  in all of this . 

Have a Blessed day everyone . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...