Sunday, August 17, 2014

Cancer , My Pal ?

I miss my treatment time . Strange , isn't it ? Hard to believe that I would miss something that held so much pain for me in the past . I have come full circle with my illness , accepting the life I am forced to lead . Why not extend my hand in friendship to this monster called cancer . 

Every two or three weeks , depending on the type of treatment , I would pack my chemo bag from Phil's Friends and head out early in the morning for my treatment . At that time  , I was still on third shift and I would quickly stop by the apartment after work , grab my bag and fight the early morning traffic to get to my appointment . I rarely made it on time . 

The length of my stay didn't matter to me at all . In fact , the later the better . While others would grow impatient with the waiting , the tests , the examinations and finally the treatment itself , I welcomed it  . 

My trusty chemo bag held all I needed for a day of relaxation . Puzzles magazines , books to read , even a bible study workbook , fruit and veggie snacks to munch on kept me occupied . Let's not forget my    yarn , which all the nurses wanted to know what I was currently working on . 

The last two bouts with cancer , I opted not to have a chemo partner to go with me and I'm glad for it . I much preferred the quiet time and often felt dismayed if a chatty roommate appeared . The phone never rang , because everyone knew I needed my sleep .

Since I was still working , this quiet , relaxing time was something I ended up looking forward to and enjoyed regardless of the side     effects . 

On the plus side , I think the treatment also made me feel more secure , safer knowing that my cancer was bombarded with ammunition on a regular basis . It could only retreat , right ? 

Have  a Blessed day everyone . 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...