Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Last Frontier

On Emily's birthday weekend getaway , I fell in love with a show called " Alaska : The Last Frontier ." This is about the Kilcher family's life in the wild wilderness of Alaska . They also happen to be the singer's Jewel family members .

They live this simple life where they live off the land . They hunt , garden , build , harvest etc  . This family is amazing ! They make me realize  and appreciate our ancestors who had to survive in the same way . There is nothing these people can't do . They make everything from scratch : their detergents , lotions , medicine , homes , jewelry etc . To me , it's so educational .

As I watch , I fantasize myself there , living alongside them . I know that is very unrealistic since I know I wouldn't be able to survive . You see , I know I'm too selfish . They work from dawn to dusk . All I want to do now is meditate , crochet and write my blog . How is any of that going to provide for the coming winter that lasts eight months in Alaska  .

Emily can't stand this show . She is a lover of animals and a vegetarian and all this hunting going on is too much for her . This slaughtering is too much for her to understand .

Yes , we have become very selfish society . We have forgotten how to show respect for all the things around us . We abuse every single pleasure that God has gifted to us . Yes , gifted to us . We assume that we are entitled to this world and it's pleasures .  

So I sit here , drinking a glass of wine that I won at the baby shower . Someone at our table remarked how expensive this brand  was and I honestly can tell you that I prefer my Kathy's homemade wine better . Even at the shower , when Missy opened her presents I felt awkward knowing that my gift held three homemade baby blankets ,  imperfect and crude  compared to the other machine made items . As she opened my gift , she got all choked up and teary-eyed . She didn't cry when she opened up the $ 300.00 swing set .

When Emily bakes her goods , I  would ask her , Why does it taste so good ? She would reply :
" Because it's made with Love "
Have a Blessed Week everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...