Sunday, May 7, 2017

A Fallen Tree

                                                                            Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                           everyday is a journey.



A single sin, however apparently trifling, however hidden in some obscure corner of our consciousness,--a sin which we do not intend to renounce,--is enough to render real prayer impracticable. A course of action not wholly upright and honorable, feelings not entirely kind and loving, habits not spotlessly chaste and temperate,--any of these are impassable obstacles. If we know of a kind act which we might, but do not intend to, perform,--if we be aware that our moral health requires the abandonment of some pleasure which yet we do not intend to abandon, here is cause enough for the loss of all spiritual power. 
F. P. COBBE.

The other night, as I was waiting for Emily to come out from work, I noticed a group of young men around a car. Of course, no surprise there. Where there are cars, one can find a group of men cloistered round it. I believe men are born with cars and sports on their minds, but that's a different story.

So I sat there in my car, fascinated more each passing minute as the group of young men grew larger. It looked as if they were trying to move this vehicle. They pushed from the front. They pushed from the back. Nothing worked. The car would not move no matter how many able-bodied young men pushed with all of their strength. 

I'm not sure exactly what made me realize that there was a tree underneath that vehicle. It was the usual young tree that one sees in a parking lot. All I could think about was how in the world did that youngster do that? I mean, how did that tree get underneath his car? Why would he attempt to drive over that tree?

I do not understand men just like they don't understand us women. Pretty soon the manager came out, stopped and with hands on her hips demanded what was going on. I sat there and I watched this melodrama unfold in front of me. It was like a scene from Charlie Brown, WAA WAA WAA. I could see the young men trying desperately to explain how they came into this predicament. I mean, it's one thing to be reprimanded for a job not well done, but this was a fallen tree underneath the car that they ran over! 

Honestly, I felt for these young men. I immediately thought of something a young lady I know says to me all the time. Just when you think you have it bad, someone else out there has it worse. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...