Thursday, May 4, 2017

Why Do We Do What We Do?

                                                        Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                         everyday is a journey.

We tell Thee of our care,
Of the sore burden, pressing day by day,
And in the light and pity of Thy face,
The burden melts away.
We breathe our secret wish,
The importunate longing which no man may see;
We ask it humbly, or, more restful still,
We leave it all to Thee.
SUSAN COOLIDGE.


Why do you come to Church every Sunday? Why do you go to work everyday? Or drink a cup of coffee every morning?  Or read a paper every Sunday?

That question stared up at me from the reflection of the computer monitor. Here, in one of my devotionals, I'm being asked Why do we do what we do? What brings me to do the things I do every single day? What is that motivation behind it? There is a reason behind everything, we just have to be honest about it. 

For someone who is a born again Christian, I'm pretty ritualistic. I basically have the same routine every single day. I even do these things in the same exact order every single day. I get up, make the coffee, have a bagel, read my e-mails etc., etc. There is a routine that has reason only to me. I need this routine.

 Sometimes, I'm way better organized and productive. There are also times that I barely get anything done. This Winter, I fell into the barely getting anything done routine and suddenly everything became more difficult. I think that is the main reason why I do my ritualistic routine every morning. So I stay on track with my purpose. Without it I become lethargic. 

Besides all that, there has to be a broader perspective on why we do what we do. There is something about leaving a footprint that is our own. We have this need not to be forgotten through time after we're gone. We do things for mankind, for our families and for ourselves. We want our existence here on Earth to be for something.

Church, for instance, holds a very spiritual and fulfilling purpose to my soul. I need Church and I need God to get through daily living. I need my Ministry and my writing as therapy for my cancer. If I don't follow this routine and partake in any of these activities, I'm crabby. Out of balance and out of sorts. 

We all need something to take that stress off us. We need to live life, have a purposeful existence and be among people. Even if we don't care much for them, relationships are important, because we cannot be alone. We are not meant to be alone. We need all these things to help balance out our physical and mental well-being. A little bit of this and a little bit of that makes a perfect us. Makes who we are now.

Have a blessed day everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...