Friday, May 5, 2017

The Olden Days

                                                                       Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                        everyday is a journey.



Guide us through life; and when at last
    We enter into rest,
  Thy tender arms around us cast,
    And fold us to Thy breast.
H. F. LYTE.



I grew up on Avon, Tupperware, Saturday Matinees, bowling  and McDonalds. Even though I didn't get to eat at McDonalds. According to my father, we had food at home. That was my childhood. It was quite common to have Tupperware parties and housewarmings. All these things were inexpensive for families to partake in. Oh, that ice cream truck was cheap, too. Annoying, but cheap. 

Nowadays, none of these things are considered economical. And when did Tupperware become so expensive? Or am I just getting old? One cannot do any of these things on a regular basis with their families. Take a family of four out to the movies and see how quickly the money disappears from your wallet. Even McDonald's isn't the same anymore. They became famous, because it was economical for parents to get a Happy Meal for their child. It didn't break the bank. It did fatten up our children, though.

Boy, do I sound old, eh? Truth is, I am getting old. When we're young, we cannot wait to become older. We want to be adults so badly. Then when we become old, we want to go back to the simpler way of life. 

My favorite memory of my brothers and I, happens to be when we were extremely little back in Poland. We were just running through the fields on our parent's farm. I love that memory, because it represents freedom to me. Freedom in childhood. We had no huge responsibilities, even though we felt so overwhelmed by chores, didn't we?

I want that simplicity. Somewhere along the path of my living life, everything became muddled, stressful and materialistic. My life became stuff, tons of stuff. I'm so sick of stuff. I stand inside my pantry, feeling claustrophobic. This pantry is filled with all sorts of appliances. A juicer, mixer, blender, food processor, toaster oven, can opener, ice cream maker, waffle maker, popcorn machine. There's more, but why bore you?

Emily can have it all. I'm quite happy with 4 bowls, 4 spoons, 4 forks. Anything beyond that I consider a party and then it's time to bring out the paper plates. The more I think about it, the more I believe it is the correct way in life. We older folks should move over, spend our days enjoying life more and leave the rest to those youngsters. Let them spend the majority of their life collecting stuff until they become old and the cycle begins anew. Then they can talk about the olden days. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...