Monday, November 12, 2018

The Orient Express?


                                                              Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                               everyday is a journey.




Self-love but serves the 
virtuous mind to wake
As the small pebble
 stirs the peaceful lake;
The center moved, 
a circle straight succeeds,
Another still, 
and still another spreads;
Friend, parent, neighbor,
 first it will embrace,
Its country next, and next,
 the human race.


Ever since I have watched and fell in love with Agatha Christie, I've wanted to travel on the Orient Express. It has been a dream of mine for a very long time. Since then, I have held a deep affection for trains. Not just any ordinary trains, but the double decker sleeper car trains that travel the countryside. 

When Ted suggested we take the train out to Arizona, I jumped at the chance. This pilgrimage will be my Orient Express experience. I planned on enjoying and taking every opportunity to fully experience this ride. I would not just sit in my chair looking out the window. I would thrive amidst my surroundings.

We met up at the Metropolitan VIP Lounge at Amtrak's Chicago Union Station. This lounge is fairly new having been built in the Fall of 2016. It had two floors, the one on top was the quiet area where one can have a nap in between trains. The one below offered a light snack of cheese, crackers, fruit and even hot cereal if it was morning. Different assortment of drinks were also available as well as a wine tasting on the weekend for one hour. I tried the champagne. Why not, I was on vacation.



Very comfortable, although Ted was not impressed. He is, after all, a seasoned traveler, especially when it comes to trains. He has seen better lounges elsewhere. Chicago's disappointed him greatly. 

Our cabin sleeper was quite nice. We had our own bathroom/shower and the sleepers pulled out into a bunk bed. We had our privacy and plenty of room during the day to stretch out our legs.




The meals were simply delicious. I was worried about the quality of food, especially when one is traveling, but this was perfect. Quite a large selection where I could have a variety for the three days we were traveling. One could have an angus burger or salmon or steak. We ate good, very good.

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our train ride all the way to Arizona. The only drawback was that there was no wifi. I had huge plans of making videos for YouTube and catching up on my e-mails. I also hoped to do some writing. None of it happened, but then, there was more opportunity to chat with Ted. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...