Sunday, February 7, 2016

A Story Or Two


                                          Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.

This blessed Sunday finds me surrounded by paperwork as I prepare my taxes. There is always trepidation that I may do something wrong. I've been preparing my own taxes now for a few years, since my closest friend (a CPA) showed me. 

I've also been experiencing some minor problems with my posts, not really sure what is going on. It doesn't matter, I still plan on having a great day. Sunday has always been about family and church. I hope you have experienced both today. 

Below are some stories I've collected that I thought were inspirational or brought a smile to my face. I hope you will enjoy, maybe even share with your loved ones as you sit down to Sunday Supper or coffee.

I heard a true story once about a pastor who officiated a funeral. Afterwards, he got in his car to lead the processional to the cemetery. Well, he started driving, turned on the radio, and got lost in thought. He was driving down the street when he went by a Kmart and remembered he needed a few things at the store. So he pulled into the parking lot and circled a few times to find a parking space, then he glanced in his rearview mirror and saw a whole string of cars behind him with their lights on. Now, they had no idea why they were there. And, truth be told, that pastor didn't really have a good idea what he was doing there either.
Skip Heitzig


I heard about a man who was on a wilderness expedition and got lost. He was in survival mode, and had become very hungry. When he found a spotted owl (an endangered species), he killed it, and ate it. Well, after he got home, it was discovered he’d eaten the owl and he was taken to court.
He pleaded before the judge, “Your Honor, I was starving. I had to kill the spotted owl in order to live.” “Okay,” the judge said, “I’ll dismiss the charges in your case. But tell me, what did the spotted owl taste like?”
The man thought for a minute and said, “More tender than a condor, but not as tough as a whooping crane.”
Sometimes, the truth hurts. It gets us into more trouble than a lie would. But even in those times, God wants us to be truthful and leave the results up to Him, trusting that our situation will be resolved according to His will through our obedience.
Jack Graham

Beer companies seem to have great commercials, don’t they? Years ago, Old Milwaukee had an ad for their product. Guys were together in a boat, fishing for pike with great success. At the close of the day, they were relaxing on their cabin porch, drinking an Old Milwaukee, and saying, “It just doesn’t get any better than this.” The message in that ad was simple: if you want to live life to the fullest, you need to start drinking Old Milwaukee.
Think about that statement: “it just doesn’t get any better than this.” Everyone wants to experience the best in life. We want to live a life full of meaning, purpose, and great times with family and friends. After all, as Schlitz used to say, “You only go around once, so you gotta grab all the gusto you can.”

Obviously, beer is not the answer to an empty life. As a matter of fact, I find it funny that the beer companies never show you the other side to their product … a drunk lying in a gutter, covered with his own vomit and flies. I don’t believe he is saying to himself, “It just doesn’t get any better than this.” As the Scripture says, “Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is intoxicated by it is not wise” (Proverbs 20:1).
Jeff Shreves

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...