Monday, October 5, 2015

Simply Downsizing 101

                            Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.

The only way I can make my living tiny work is to downsize everything and I mean everything in my life. There are only two exceptions to this rule: my crocheting and my books. Anything pertaining to that is staying.

I know that I have over five years before any of this can happen, but I can slowly prepare myself. So almost every weekend, I attack a part of the apartment whether that is the closet, a  junk draw or a shelf.

Clothes take up a lot of room and we have accessories like scarves and belts to complete them.  I, myself have three categories of clothing in my closet. I have the skinny clothes from years ago that I one day hope to wear again. I have my fancy clothes for going out that are worn only a few times a year. The third is my casual everyday wear.

Last month, I became very dissatisfied with the contents of my closet over spilling every time I opened the door. I donated all my skinny clothes and majority of my fancy wear to a women's shelter.

Next, I attacked all my linen, curtains, tablecloths and napkins. Thanks to my mom I have tons in every color and design. Bedspreads, shams and sheets can be recycled into wheelchair bags for the handicap or the elderly.

So now my closet looks pretty darn good. Only half the closet is filled with my clothing, the other half has plastic bins stacked neatly. I love my new look.

Below, is an excerpt from a Tiny House blogger who gave some tips on how to reduce your wardrobe.

The wardrobe:
When I started to edit my wardrobe, I did a couple of things:
First, I inventoried the stuff in my closet.
Second, over a two week period, I wrote down what I wore. This activity helped me figure out what I wore and what I left hanging in my closet.
Finally, after I looked at my list, I started the editing process. I placed a big donation bag near my closet and put the clothing I no longer wanted in the bag. In my wardrobe, I separated my clothes into a maybe group and a keep group. Eventually, the maybe group was donated to Goodwill and I only kept clothing that I loved and wore regularly.
Every season, I come back to this basic process because it helps me figure out what I really use. I hope the tips above, and my wardrobe list below, will inspire you to do some spring cleaning!
The  Rowdy Kitten blog post

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...