Saturday, April 18, 2015

Here Lies Walter

Few people know that Lottie isn't really my name. I was born in Poland as Wladyslawa, named after my father Wladyslaw. Yes folks, I'm a Junior.

How did I get the name Lottie? Well, when we came to this country and I was a mere 7 year old, this is the name that my cousin claimed was the English translation. How she came to that conclusion, I'm not sure since Lottie is a diminutive of Charlotte and Wladyslaw is Walter in English. There must be some truth to it since I do know other Wladyslawa's who are called Lottie. I actually work with one.

As a small child, I wanted to be an Ann or Laura or Susan, anything but a Lottie. I even named my children a very traditional names like Emily and Joseph. I wanted to be normal.

Now that I'm much, much older I've come to love my name. As an adult, I've wanted to be different and follow my own path. The name Lottie is pretty much different. I've grown accustomed to it especially since one of my bosses used to call me Wladyslawa.

As I age, names really don't matter to me anymore. I laugh at myself when I recall the past. We put so much emphasis on naming our children as if we are the ones that decide the type of person they will become. No matter what name we give them , it will fit their personality and they will make it their own.

My mom wanted to name me Elizabeth, but my dad came from a long line of Walters and wanted this name to be carried on with his child. Of course, my mom was totally against it, but as every new mom, she was tired and fell asleep after delivery. My sneaky dad took that opportunity to fill out the forms and sign them making me the lucky one becoming Junior.

When my mom woke up, she was not a happy camper and refused to call me by that name. When we were alone, she would call me Beth or Lizzie, and it wasn't until we came to America seven years later that she finally called me by my American version Lottie. She preferred that over Wladyslawa.

One of my close friends heard my story of my name and calls me Walter. I love it! When we last saw each other, we were kidding around that my epitaph should say Here lies Walter. I'm mean, come on folks, who else has a name with such a storyline behind it?

Besides, her calling me that, just specifies our closeness and the type of relationship we have. So whatever name you give your child, believe me, they will look like it and act like that name. What's the story of your name?

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...