Thursday, April 2, 2015

Day 20

Here's a throwback Thursday blog from 2011, featuring Linda. My dear Linda.

I believe that all of us who are battling a chronic disease have a checklist of some sort whether it is written down or imprinted permanently in our heads. This checklist includes a list of things we need to take care of before our next chemo infusion.

I would prepare the household by doing laundry and grocery shopping as well as paying bills. Anything that I could do ahead of time, I would get ready so I could devote my time to healing and resting.

Of course, there is that famous chemo bag of mine, filled with some of my basic needs to keep me occupied during the infusion. Right now, it sits in the closet waiting for that next time.

What is your checklist look like?



Checklist
  On Sunday , I usually run into my friend Linda . We compare notes on the different chemo treatments , side effects we are experiencing and any test results we are waiting on . It's good to know another cancer patient to share this road with . In my church  , there are three of us  going through cancer .
   I was very surprised to find we both have the same routine . We have a checklist we go through before our chemo . We already know what kind of side effects we will experience and how long they will last . We prepare ourselves for those days when we will be out of action .
  I get chemo every three weeks . My side effects usually last 2 weeks and then I get a week break before the next treatment . Being sick and out of commission makes life a little hard . My checklist includes doing groceries , paying any bills , getting all  my medications , doing laundry etc . We also buy whatever we need for our side effects . One of my big ones happens to be nausea .I 'll stock up on crackers  and fruit to help combat it .
   I depend on my checklist alot lately. I find that I stay home as much as possible . In fact , I can feel the difference in my body more now than before . It will only get worse as time goes on . If there is an event like a birthday or sunday school , I have to rest up all week for it . Being sick is a full time job .
  Then there is a checklist for the everyday life until I go in remission . My plastic gloves that I use when cleaning , atm machines and for pumping gas . The famous clorox wipes ....where do I begin ? I use them for everything ! For the steering wheel when I get inside the car and the bathroom ,oh yes , the bathroom . Especially , if that bathroom is not mine . Lastly , the mask , for those times when someone is sick and I have no choice but to be near them .
   My checklist begins tomorrow . So does Linda's . Next day is treatment ....for both of us . Yeah , it's good to have a friend that is experiencing the same thing at the same time .

Have a Blessed day everyone.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing to have someone that understands what are we going through. And it's a blessing to have a friend "walking" walking with you during this hard time...
    I learned through my hard moments(not as hard as yours) that the Savior understands more than no one how we feel during those moments.
    And that's how He can help us.

    Do you feel Jesus closer to you in the midst of your tribulations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, I have developed a real relationship , one that was lacking in the past.

      Delete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...