Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Apron Strings Anyone?

My day has been pretty much spent thinking about my children, my adult children. Where will they be in the coming future? What will become of them ? Will they remain healthy? A better job? Marriage? Children?
 
These types of questions keep me up at night. As a parent of adult children, I find my role has definitely changed. No longer am I in control of their behavior nor their life. I cannot fix their mistakes as much as I may want to. It seems my commands have turned into
 " advice ".
 
  As a parent with stage three cancer, the concerns I may have regarding their lives takes on an urgency. My time here is limited and all parents want to leave this world knowing all is well with their babies.
 
So when do we stop being parents and become more like friends?

I should have asked that question long time ago. I am positive that in my children's mind, the apron strings have been cut. Why does it take the parents so much longer?

I guess that after so many years of being the leader shouldering all the responsibility, it is difficult to let go of the reins and become a backseat driver.

I'm always worried about the future when I won't be around. What will happen to them in their times of crisis? Of course, I'm acting like they can't do without me.

My son is married and I am less likely to worry about him, because of that fact. He has someone beside him to help endure the crisis. Whereas my daughter is still single and I worry more about her than her brother due to her status.

Ridiculous, right? It's only natural for parents to be more concerned with the welfare  of their daughters since little girls have always been portrayed as sensitive damsels. The boys are the strong ones who aren't allowed to cry.

Truth be told, my son has always been the sensitive, caring one and my daughter the one who never would be seen shedding a tear.

As a mother, I would love to see both my children settled into perfect, happy lives. Then I can move on, but how realistic is that?  The truth is that trials and storms of life are great character builders. Why would I deny my children that type of growth?

It's just so hard to cut those apron strings!

Have a Blessed day everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...