Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Joys Of Winter

                                                                             Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                              everyday is a journey.





Lord, I my vows to Thee renew;
Disperse my sins as morning dew;
Guard my first springs of thought and will,
And with Thyself my spirit fill.
THOMAS KEN.

Funny, how things work out. Here we are on the brink of Spring, but my mind has been on the irony of my Winter. I have been literally crying about the lack of a real Winter these past few years. Well, Winter truly was Winter this time. We had single digit temperatures, multiple snowfall and plenty of ice. 

One could say, I have gotten my wish. I laugh at that, because in February after multiple days of snowfall, I discovered the full joys of Winter life. I distinctively remember one particular day. My company, like many others around here, shut down for the upcoming blizzard that was expected. School upon school posted on the local news stations their closings. A blizzard is coming!

Well, this fool here, who has written many times on this blog about preparation and organization, totally didn't see this coming at all. In fact, I signed up for a Women's Breakfast and decided to do all my errands the very morning of this blizzard. I wasn't prepared at all. I needed milk, eggs and some basic ingredients. So I headed out regardless.

Now, I have to admit that the main roads were plowed and okay. It was the parking lot by my complex that was the problem as well as other lots around us. I used to have a Dodge Durango with 4 wheel drive and Winter was never a big deal. Nowadays, I have a Chevy HHR named Herschel and this poor thing is smaller than any other car in the lot. I traveled with a kitchen broom as I got stuck pulling out and pulling into a spot. I actually thought about taking some of Diamond's litter (clean, of course) in case I couldn't get out. 

After dropping Emily off at work, I made my errands, coming home laden with bags. I must have circled my lot several times looking for a spot, made numerous unsuccessful attempts of pulling in and getting stuck instead. Finally, a block away, I found a spot that was already cleared. I dragged all those bags over knee deep snow to our place. Believe me , all I wanted after that ordeal was a nice, hot bath. 

Now, I have problems getting in and out of the tub as it is, but the idea of soaking was too much to pass up. I sanked in and loved every minute of it, until it was time to get out. For the life of me, I couldn't get out of that tub! Every time I lifted myself up, I slithered back down. I thought to myself, I'm going to be stuck in this tub until someone rescues me. Then an idea occurred to me and I slithered over the rim of the bathtub like a snake onto the bathroom rug. True story. I swear. 

I laugh about this now as I think about the irony of it all. We often have this image in our heads how great things would be if this happened or that, but is it really realistic? No, it's how we would want it to be, not how it truly will be. 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...