Friday, May 1, 2015

The Ugly Duckling

 It's been quite a road regarding what I thought would be a simple visit to the dentist. Talk about being naïve. I thought that all I had to do is make an appointment and that one dentist would take care of all my needs in a couple of visits.

Silly me. Having neglected my dental duties for the past eight years, my memories were filled of a different era. I can remember my own mother going to have a partial done and never seeing a  bill. Her one dentist took care of all her work. She didn't have to deal with referrals of any kind nor the insurance company.

Somehow, I thought it would be the same.

First, I had to get on the "list " of new patients from my insurance which took 30 days. After that list appeared at the office, it took another 6 to 8 weeks for my first appointment which ended up being more of a consultation than anything else. Then a referral is made to another dentist for any work done like a root canal or an extraction and so on and so on.

Honestly, I'm wondering what exactly does my family dentist do besides write referrals.

It's also very expensive. Boy, is it ever. I think dentists make more money than doctors.

I know I sound naïve,  but my experience with dentists consisted of a cavity filling. It is my own fault for not visiting one for almost ten years and now I have to pay the price for it.

I'm just tired of all these visits that take so long. My face is either swollen or bruised in beautiful shades of blue and purple. This last one ended up turning yellow in places that had nothing to do with the tooth that was worked on. That I believe is purely thanks to the dentist that wrapped my lip around my neck. 

Emily hasn't fared any better. After aging out of the family plan under my insurance, she proceeded to stay covered on her own with the same company, still using the same office. She ended up being placed all over again waiting for the "list" again and is currently awaiting her appointment at the end of May.

Why? Nothing has changed except she's under her own plan. The insurance and dentist are still the same. Healthcare/Dental has become a nightmare in this country. Every time I hear a politician speak on how they have improved healthcare, I just want to smash the television. Obviously, because of their notoriety they don't have to endure what we common citizens do.

 You can see that I am becoming very stressed out regarding this. I feel very unbecoming and old. All I want is a beautiful smile and instead I feel like an ugly duckling.

Have a Blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...