Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Lenten Ashes-

It's that time of the year where throngs of people rush to Church for their Lenten Ashes , vowing to give up things they like in favor of their spirituality and their faith . All around me , I am asked the same question .

What are you giving up for Lent ?

My reply of " I don't do ashes , I'm not a Catholic " , usually results with the raising of the eyebrows and a look of disbelief on their 
face . In their view I am a heathen , not participating .

Every January , when I'm fasting with my Church for the preparation of the  New Year , no one takes notice nor do they
 care . They look at me weird then , too .

People love rituals and in a way , we judge others by them . Easter and Christmas , we flock to Church with a fervor lacking the rest of the year . Thanksgiving we sit at a table and break bread with people with whom we have no time for 364 days of the year and we complain about them , too .

We are still living in the Old Testament , following and performing rituals that half of us have no idea what they represent . A while back , a fellow co-worker of mine  broke her fast and when I asked her what the fast was for , she couldn't remember . So what is the point if the act means nothing ? If your heart is not it , why do it ?

Easter is approaching and once again , people are missing the real reason we come together and Praise God . They are too busy checking off one ritual after another off their yearly list . When the Easter dresses are put away and the eggs are eaten , will they create a new ritual and continue coming to Church Sunday after Sunday ?

So no , I don't do ashes , but I do give up something . . . I give Him  my heart .

Have a Blessed day everyone . 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...