Monday, June 3, 2013

Those Were The Days

My children are grown and if you're like me , you reminisce of when they were small . You remember all the good times you've shared together . I really miss the quality conversations where secrets were confided and future plans were discussed . My presence was in demand and no one could lend an ear better than mom .

Now that my son is married , the dynamics have certainly changed . The time I used to spend with him , has been replaced with Aubrey . I love my daughter-in-law and we have  a very special relationship which only deepens as time goes on . Yet , there are moments when I miss that one on one that Joe and I used to have .

In the news , the other day , was a death announcement for Jean Stapleton . Immediately , I received a text from my son , bringing back memories of his youth . When Joey was small , he absolutely loved Archie and Edith Bunker . Since the show was on late at night , I would tape it for him to watch the next day .

He used to imitate Edith Bunker singing " Those Were The Days " and when it was time for the part where her voice would hit that high pitch . . . . . well , Emily and I would laugh so hard , it would actually bring tears to your eyes . He was that good .

All day long , I'm back in the 90's raising my children , humming that song . I could hear Joey singing . . . .

Boy the way Glenn Miller Played
Songs that made the Hit Parade
Guys like us we had it made
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girl and men were men
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

Didn't need no Welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee our old LaSalle Ran great

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!    


Have a Blessed day everyone .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...