Wednesday, June 19, 2013

That Hot Flash Woman

Six years ago , I had a hysterectomy which resulted in an instant menopausal state . I was fine until my first chemo two months later . Of all the symptoms of menopause , weight gain and hot flashes are prominent in me .

Hot flashes : what can I say . . . I can't remember the last time I was cold . I'm hot all the time , breaking into a sweat at the slightest physical exertion . I don't have a blanket or comforter on my bed , but use a sheet instead .

In the wintertime , I wear halter tops and shorts around the place . Emily gets shivers just looking at me . There are times I have to turn on the ceiling fan to cool off .

I can deal with all of that , but the red side burns on my face is just too much . I'm 48 years old and I look like I'm a pre-teen with her first crush . When I take steroids , my face becomes even redder .

My  desk fan at work is always on which infuriates my co-workers . They're bundled up with layers and I'm fanning myself . Their comment to me : " You know it's wintertime , right " ?  Duh !

My weight : If I have another good wisher offering me weight loss advice , I can promise you , I'll end up on the news . What is it with people and weight ? Why can't they leave us fat people alone ? Maybe , we're happy being fat .

" You know , Lottie , you've been gaining weight " . Really ? I haven't noticed my clothes not fitting . Like I'm not aware of that fact .
" You need to watch what your eating . Eat more fruit and veggies . Watch your portions . Drink your water " .
I don't know how I survived without these people all these years . What do they think I have been doing for six years ! What does dressing taste like ? I surely can't remember .

And now for my favorite ....... when they see me eat a cookie or a slice of cake or anything sweet .
" Do you know how many calories there are in that " ?

At that point , I turn beet red and this time , it has nothing to do with my hot flashes !

Have a Blessed day everyone and stay cool .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...