Monday, October 1, 2018

Vitamins 101: Take Three


                                                   
                                               Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



Sit down, sad soul, and count
The moments flying;
Come, tell the sweet amount
That's lost by sighing!
How many smiles?--a score?
Then laugh, and count no more;
For day is dying.



I've been fighting off the feeling of fatigue for quite awhile now. Someone in my Chronic Illness Group suggested B12 vitamins since they help prevent a type of anemia that makes people tired and weak. In the hope of raising my energy levels , I began adding this vitamin to my daily dosage. It also helps break down my food faster and turn it into energy. Hey, why not?


We bought vitamin E specifically for Emily for her acne and sensitive skin problems. It is an ingredient in many skincare products, especially those that claim to have anti-aging benefits, so we thought it would have great benefits for her skin. I didn't start taking it until I did some research and found that vitamin E supplements may prevent coronary heart disease, supports immune function, prevents inflammation, promotes eye health, and lowers the risk of cancer. How could I not start taking this?

Now, this one I do not take, but I thought to show it, because many people have a problem with being regular. This is one of many that Emily takes to aid her in this problem. I have noticed that when I am on medication during my treatment or after surgeries, I also have a huge problem with being regular. This is how my body reacts to prescription medication. When this happens, I have been known to take a dosage.


Calcium and magnesium I started at the same time, quite recently. I'm not sure why I didn't think of calcium before since it's main purpose involves bone support. What a difference it has made for me, probably more than any of the other vitamins I take daily. I recommend it highly.



Cranberry is another for Emily and one I didn't take at first, either. People say to me, why not just drink the juice? Well, the juice has plenty of sugar. The only juice we drink comes from Costco from the Kirkland brand. It is not as sweet as the others. The problem is that they don't always carry it. I started taking the cranberry to help with my urinary tract. Since I drink lots of water and my joints swell up with fluid, I just want to make sure everything is working properly without my having to take water pills. Remember, I don't want to be on any medication. So far, it's a reality.



Ever since my treatment, I have noticed that my nails are very brittle, especially my toes. I have been using the Hair, Skin and Nails vitamin for awhile now. There is a difference, but a very subtle one. My nails on my hands are looking pretty good, except two. My toes are a different matter. I've also started soaking my feet in equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water to help with this problem. 



Turmeric is one of the most expensive vitamins out there. We do have the powder form and use it within our recipes. I buy the powder form at a local fruit market a lot cheaper . . . a lot! The problem with turmeric is that it stains your teeth, your dish towels etc.That is why I started using it in pill form. We still use it in powder for our recipes, because one can not have too much of this wonder spice/vitamin. It is a great as an anti-inflammatory and a strong antioxidant. 




Well, that is the end of our vitamin breakfast every morning. I am a very spoiled mother, for sure. Emily is the pill doctor around here and no matter if I leave early in the morning or sleep in, these vitamins magically appear on my desk everyday. I sometimes wonder what will happen when she leaves me. What will I eat? Who will get my vitamins for me? 

Honestly, I am a very blessed woman. Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...