Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Zucchini Lasagna

                                                         Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                           everyday is a journey.



How joyed my heart in the rich melodies
That overhead and round me did arise!
The moving leaves--
the water's gentle flow--
Delicious music hung on every bough.
Then said I in my heart,
 "If that the Lord
Such lively music on the earth accord;
If to weak, sinful man such sounds are given,
O! what must be the melody of heaven!"

It has become the norm on Sunday for us to share a good meal. In fact, the weekend itself, signifies supper and family time. I am not a great cook by no means, quite an amateur. I make very basic dishes that are quick and easy. I thought we would try something new this time so I became quite ambitious by attempting to make zucchini lasagna. 

This dish involves no pasta, only a substitute of zucchini. The trick here is to bread your zucchini strips with egg and breadcrumbs. Then saute on both sides for a few minutes. You layer your lasagna no different as a regular recipe. We chose a vegetarian version instead of ground beef. A layer of Zucchini, ricotta, saute mushrooms, sauce, shredded mozzarella. Keep layering until the pan is filled to the top. Very simple, but quite delicious. 

I would suggest making it a day before you have to serve it. If you eat it right out of the oven, it is not set yet and can be a little mushy. It needs to set firmly overnight and everything will hold beautifully when served. I also drained it a bit of the juice from the zucchini. Delicious. Emily had leftovers and she never likes leftovers. That says a lot.

I made mine on Saturday. In fact, this entire weekend seemed to have flown by in a flash. Making two suppers in one day was a bit overwhelming and tiring for an old woman like me. Don't forget the shopping, cleaning, laundry etc. It seemed it was nonstop work from morning to night. Not exactly how I like to spend my weekends. 

In fact, I'm wondering when did they begin to be days to do chores? These types of things I have always taken cared of during the weekend. I am getting older and more fatigued than ever. Trying to keep up with the lifestyle I have set for myself years ago has been difficult. Many people cannot believe that I am still working after 4 bouts with cancer. It is beginning to wear me out and I wonder myself.

It is Fall and we normally spend this time preparing for the Winter by washing blankets, cleaning and stocking the pantry, sealing our windows. We prepare for the hankering down of Winter. Now, if we could just never leave the house during the Winter and just burrow away. That would be lovely, wouldn't it?

Have a blessed day everyone. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...