Saturday, October 8, 2016

Rah, Rah, Go Pink!

                 
                                          Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


It is a well known fact that my place of work (Avon) donates tons of money to breast cancer every year. We hold fundraiser after fundraiser and even select October as the breast cancer awareness month where we wear pink every Friday in support. 

In fact, one can see the famous breast cancer pink symbol everywhere. There are several types of merchandise ranging from water bottles to license plate holders. One can even ride in a pink taxi as a show of support. Let's not forget the numerous 5K Walks sponsored every year by various organizations. Breast cancer awareness and fundraisers have come a long way. 

That's wonderful, but what about all the other cancers out there? How come we don't see anything for the lung, the throat or even mine (ovarian)? Sometimes, I feel a real frustration when fellow co-workers inquire why I'm not wearing pink on Friday. I mean, I'm wearing teal for ovarian, why do I need to wear pink? They just don't see my point of view at all. 

We have been doing this for years now and I still get the same question. One would think I wouldn't need to repeat myself anymore. This year, I didn't even bother answering with my usual teal reply. I just said no I'm not participating. You would think I was a terrorist for the looks I've received. 

I don't think it's too much to ask to have my type of cancer have the same fundraisers as the breast. All cancers are important no matter what type you may have. Don't you think I want to wear a teal tutu and teal heart ears? Or participate in a 5K Ovarian Walk? Heck, I'll even blog about it!

So I'm sorry, I'm not running around Rah, Rah, Go Pink! What about my cancer? Or the neighbors? Or your friend's wife? Why don't we have an universal color for all cancers united? This way, no one feels left out and everyone has a chance to celebrate by screaming I'm a survivor arms in the air as they cross the finish line. Rah, Rah Go Survivors!

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...