Sunday, June 5, 2016

The Radiation Consult


                                                       Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                       everyday is a journey.

I can hear these violets chorus
    To the sky's benediction above;
  And we all are together lying
    On the bosom of Infinite Love.
  Oh, the peace at the heart of Nature!
    Oh, the light that is not of day!
  Why seek it afar forever,
    When it cannot be lifted away?
W. C. GANNETT.


I wasn't looking forward to the radiation consult as I had no idea what to expect. This was certainly a new experience for me. My idea of radiation has always been from someone else point of view. Or at least, my observation of their treatment. Since it appeared to be a quick scan, even though a daily one, I just assumed it didn't have too many side effects. 

You know about that word assume, right? That's exactly what happened here. As I sat there listening to them describe the procedure and the side effects, I thought to myself how naive could I possibly be? Here I've always considered myself a professional in regards to cancer since I've gone through it so many times. Yet, I still don't really know all there is to know. 

So what are the side effects? Well, since the scan will be a direct one on the spot where my tumor was and not a larger area, it shouldn't be as bad. It will affect my bowels and my urinary tract. Of course, there is severe fatigue that seems to be associated with all treatments of the cancer. This worries me the most. I was planning on being back at work at this time. The idea of having to take a nap concerns me greatly since my treatment will be in the morning and I will be going to work directly after. It will be a long day for me. 

So the plan is for me to do my chemo infusions first (3 of them), have another Ct. scan and then followed by five weeks of radiation (totaling 25).  That's the plan. What will happen in between, one can only wait and see. There are so many concerns here and not just regards to treatment. There are the long term side effects and Fmla issues, which is another story altogether. 

For now, we're going with the first chemo this Tuesday. It all begins here. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...