Monday, June 27, 2016

Cancer As A Blessing

                                                    Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                    everyday is a journey.


Make a rule and pray for help to keep it. 
Once a day spare room for a thought that will pursue a strong purpose.
Help in some way the progress of a weary soul who cannot repay you.
--M. B. S.

You know, I've always considered myself a cancer ambassador of sorts, because of this re-occurring journey of mine. I've tried to  make myself available to others who may be experiencing cancer for the first time. I've tried to be honest in writing about my cancer experiences as best as I can be. Yet, I've come to realize that I maybe offending people instead of offering comfort.  

Why would I say that?

Well, I'm speaking of two types of people: The ones who have cancer and the ones who don't. 

The ones who don't have cancer think my attitude towards my illness is fantastic. In their eyes, I'm upbeat, positive and living my life to the fullest. What they don't understand is all this work has been nine years in the making. I was different in 2007 than I was in 2011 and so on and so on.

To the ones who have cancer, well, all of the above irritates them. What they don't understand is that it has been nine years in the making. And so on and so on.

Since my own re-occurrence in May, I've come face to face with that irritation from fellow cancer patients. Both times, I could see it on their faces how angry I made them by my upbeat attitude, almost as if I was putting on a front. At first, I felt extremely defensive, finding justification in the fact that I've been at it a very long time. 

What a boorish attitude I have! Aren't I full of myself! Good for me! Looking back now, I'm almost ashamed of that attitude. I have forgotten to show compassion and understanding along with the wisdom of those nine years. There is a way to say and do things and apparently I haven't been doing a good job of it. 

Yes, I'm in a very good place in regards to my cancer, but that doesn't mean that everyone else is in that same place right along with me. I've forgotten that in every trial or storm we face, we feel alone and depressed. It's difficult to look at others who are Pollyanna when we are struggling. 

Talk about being insensitive! Shame on me. How can I be a blessing to others when I don't consider their feelings and where they're coming from? You see, it might have been nine years, but apparently , I still have plenty to learn.

Have a blessed day everyone.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...