Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Rebirth

A new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees
O hear the angel voices
O night divine
O night when Christ was born
O night divine
O night, o night divine

Last night, I had one of the most special Christmas Eve's in a long time. It began the same way that it has for years now. My children came in from Springfield. We had dinner with the family by Tom and Kathy's house.We opened gifts and had a blast doing White Elephant. 

Nothing different. The same thing we have been doing for years. So what was different?

There was an advertisement in one of the local church's bulletin of a Christmas Eve Candlelight service. I have been there at that church many times, so I felt quite comfortable and welcomed. I decided to go after the family dinner.

It was a simple service with no frills and I was glad for it. We worshiped with song after song. The Pastor spoke of the Three Wise Men, Herald, and a baby Jesus in a manger. 

A new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees
O hear the angel voices
O night divine
O night when Christ was born
O night divine
O night, o night divine


When we sang that verse, I almost fell to my knees in humble admiration. Tears welled up and I thought of my own bitter seed planted in my heart this past year for others who have hurt me. The bitterness, the hurtful words that stung left me completely. They didn't matter anymore, I left them there at the altar. 

Driving home, once again I was overcome by the beauty of this night. We didn't put up any tree, nor lights or any kind of decoration to represent Christmas. There was only Jesus living in our hearts. Yet, it felt like it was the most special Christmas of all. 

He allowed peace and forgiveness in my heart  for those who have hurt me. I was free to feel His love and the love of others once again. 

I felt a gratitude to that local Church who did something that many others rarely do nowadays and stay open on Christmas Eve. I wonder how many other people in that Church felt a rebirth, a renewal for being there on that special night. How many of us needed to be there. 

I couldn't help, but wonder, what would happen if there were more church's that held a service during the actual Holiday. We are all so broken, and for many of us, the Holidays are the worst. 

A new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees
O hear the angel voices
O night divine
O night when Christ was born
O night divine
O night, o night divine

Merry Christmas everyone !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...