Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Simply No Diets

Dieting has been a major focus in our home since my cancer seven years ago . Emily and I have been on a quest , trying out anything that didn't involve a pill . 

We tried the health club thing . Everyday , it was the elliptical , the treadmill and the bicycle . The gym holds an even tie with public transportation as the most germ infested  , disgustingly unclean place . I would watch people use equipment and not wipe it down afterwards . Yuck , yuck and a triple yuck . When my cancer returned , I practically leaped with glee right out the door  and never returned . 

So then , we decided to buy an elliptical machine and exercise at home . This thing came in a million pieces to assemble , which I did all by myself . We still use it . . . occasionally , but never with a fervor we first imagined . 

Then came the diets : The slimfast 3-2-1 , the macro diets of juicing only , fasting , paleo , portion-sizing , veggies and fruits only , the cabbage
 soup , weight watchers , no carbohydrates  etc.   to name a few . 

The problem with all of the above isn't that they don't work . The problem is that we stop them when we lose the weight we desire . Hence , the weight piles on again . We need to learn how to eat , not how to lose weight . 

A memory came to mind the other day . The memory of my last      
pregnancy . I gained quite a bit of weight  and looked more overweight than pregnant . When the baby was born , the weight stayed with me unlike the other three . 

Everyday , for almost six months , I exercised for 30 minutes to a program on television . The pounds didn't slide off quick at all , but took their time , but they came off .

I don't want to do diets anymore . I definitely don't want to keep getting on a scale every week  and I don't want to care how much I weigh . I should not care what people say about my size nor should I allow that to bother me . This should not be the number one priority in my life . 

So we have come to a decision not to diet any longer . We will continue eating as healthy as possible with only one goal and that is to be healthy on the inside . 

Have a Blessed day everyone . 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...