Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Interview

Recently , I've had the ultimate privilege in being featured in an up and coming , Thought Collection Publishing , which has been founded by my niece Kathy . It's good to have family members that can promote your work . Hey , A girls gotta do what she gotta do . 

The following is my interview with her and at the same time , take a peek at her publishing page , Thought Collection Publishing . 

Crocheting Ministry
 Monday, September 16, 2013 - Kat Lahr

Lottie Krol is One To Know. 

Below is my interview of her, getting to know more of her Crocheting Ministry

How did the Crocheting Ministry come about?
People would approach me whenever they would see me crocheting wanting to learn more about it. The interest was so great that a few suggested I start a group to teach others. Since I was a ministry of one already, donating whatever I made to organizations, I had the idea of combining the two so we can serve the community and teach an old craft to someone new.
When did you start crocheting like this as a ministry? 
I started crocheting when I was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2007. As I was going through my treatment and recovery, I turned to crocheting as an outlet to help me redirect my focus on something other than my cancer. At first, I started making this huge blanket that had no pattern or design, mixing different textures of yarn together. The goal was to take my mind off my pain.  The next thing I knew, the blanket was huge and quite ugly, a representation of the tumor that grew inside of me. I found it to be very therapeutic and decided to use this gift as a healing process for myself by donating things that I've made. 
What were some of the things you have donated? 
The latest things I have donated were over 665 pairs of children's slippers that were donated to UIC Children's Cancer Clinic. I have made baby blankets for Mary's Room Crisis Center in Sheboygan Wisconsin and a blanket for a child at Children Memorial Hospital that was requested by his sponsor. 
What is the purpose of the Crocheting Ministry?
I wanted to have a Ministry where a group of individuals would use their crafting talents to benefit the community both here and around the world by making blankets, hats, and scarves for the homeless, crisis centers, women's shelters, and hospitals. 
Does everyone know how to crochet? If not, are you teaching them?
Right now we have 13 members whose abilities range from novice to seasoned professional. We all have our gift whether that is crocheting, knitting or sewing. Some of them prefer working with a loom rather than a hook. What I'd like to see is all of us learning from each other the different techniques styles and craft . 

Who taught you how to crochet?
I learned how to crochet when I was a little girl from my mom. Coming to the United States as a small child from another country, making things from scratch was commonplace. My great-grandmother was a seamstress, my grandmother could crochet, knit and sew, so it was passed down generation to generation. Now I only crochet and wish I'd learned all aspects of crafting, but now that I have started this Ministry, the opportunity is there for me to grow.
How old are the members? Tell me more about who they are?
The members all happen to be female, as young as 10 to 70 yrs. old. They are women from all ethnic and social backgrounds who either want to expand their knowledge of the craft or have a desire to learn one. Each of the women brings her own style to what they're making. 

Are you open to men joining?
You would be surprised how many men know how to crochet or want to learn, including both my grandson and my nephew, which is funny because none of our girls have expressed a desire to do so. This Ministry is not about gender, it's about serving our community regardless of what race, color or sex you are. In fact, we have a man who is considering joining that is adept at crocheting and would like to expand his skills. 
What are the members making? 
Right now we have numerous items we are working on for different organizations. The women are split up into three groups. Group one makes baby blankets and receiving blankets, group two makes adult-size blankets and group three makes scarves, slippers and hats. Each group represents a different organization. All beginners start with making a scarf and work their way up based on their comfort level or their desire to learn new things. 

Where will be pieces that are made be donate to?
The baby/receiving blankets will be donated regularly to'' The Lullaby Birthplace of St. James Hospital. They have approached our Ministry about having blankets made. The scarves/hats/slippers will be donated to a women's shelter with the largest need. The same for the adult-sized blankets that will go to the homeless. My goal is to provide for many organizations at the same time. I plan on sending letters to these type of organizations to best determine what their need happens to be, so we can provide it. 
Where does everyone meet? How long? 
The purpose of our meetings is primarily for the women to drop off their goods and pick up more supplies. It's also a good opportunity to learn another technique or get more one on one lessons. Then there is the social aspect of it, getting together with a group of women to chat. I may provide information to the women regarding a group or a project. We meet once a month on the second Saturday at noon. The time and date has been chosen by them to adjust to their schedules. The first priority is always the family. All of this is to be done at their own leisure, we are not a factory. Enjoyment is key, because if the excitement is gone, it just becomes a chore and it will affect whatever they are working on. Attendance is not mandatory and there are a few women that work at home and I drop off /pick up the goods without them ever coming to a meeting. 
What are you the most proud of so far with your ministry?
The response I received with volunteers joining and their passion for what they are doing. I love to see all these young women in their twenties and thirties enjoying such an old fashioned craft. In this modern age for them to show a desire to take time out during a busy life to create something homemade, something for them to pass on to their daughters and to teach other young women is inspiring. It shows hope for humanity and for the future as we show compassion and forgiveness for others. As one member remarked, "It gives me joy to know I can make something with my own two hands that someone else will benefit from." 
Are you accepting donations for materials? Where can they be sent?
We survive on donations only. You can donate yarn, fleece/ flannel /cotton material or you can also send gift card to Michael's or Joann's Fabrics to Crocheting Ministry, 2646 N. 75th Ave, Elmwood Park, IL  60707. Prayers for our Ministry work is also greatly appreciated. I'd like to send an invitation to any organization to let us know how we can help you by informing us of your needs so we can serve our community. 

What type of growth then do you want for this ministry?
My vision for this Ministry is three-fold. One is outreach, I would love to have enough people volunteering so we can minister to many organizations at one time. I do have a personal dream of perhaps one day sending our baby blankets to Africa or the Philippians. Two is Craft. We as a society are forgetting the simple pleasures of creating something with our own hands whether it's jewelry making or crocheting a blanket. I want to be able to bring back the Arts to the young people especially, so they in turn can teach the next generation. Three is community.  This has helped me so much through my trials that I want to do the same for others. We are not meant to live alone, but among other people. Let's come together as a group to focus on something other than ourselves by helping the community we live in, which is really the world. By doing so, we develop strong friendships, learn compassion and in turn, really heal ourselves. 

Whatever happened to that first blanket you ever made?
I unraveled the whole thing and made blankets for my entire family for Christmas that year. 

Lottie is open to talking with others who may want to start their own crocheting ministry in their own town. Feel free to contact her atlottiekrol@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...