Monday, April 16, 2012

The Drive Through Of No Waiting

     As a mother , I have used that famous description of the fork in the road when trying to explain changes in my children's lives . This has become a favorite lecture of my Emily's . Whenever , she had an important decision to make , she would always bring up those two roads in front of her . Which way do I go , momma ?
    Now , that she has become a young woman of 23 yrs. , she has added another pitfall to her dilemna of the two roads . Instead , of just seeing the two roads she also has to avoid a ditch on her way to the two roads . At times , when things are pretty bad , she actually falls in before she reaches the road .
    I try to hide a smile as I listen to the current indecisions and yes , she has fallen in ! The young are so impatient to live life . They want to experience it right NOW ! If someone is getting married , they want to be married , too . A new job ? A steady boyfriend ? A pregnancy ? When is it to be my turn ? They don't want to hear explanations on why it's not their turn . The one getting married is 10 yrs older and has waited her turn but that holds no satisfaction to them nor consolation .
   I want to slow down and enjoy every bit of my life . All she wants to do is go full speed ahead to all the good stuff . Where is that drive through of no waiting ?
  What is the hurry ? When we were their age we did everything early . Early marriage , early parenthood ,Early responsibility . I've always wanted my children to wait and take their time to experience these things . The pitfalls of each generation to be repeated over and over again . I don't want a repeat .
   Right now , we both are experiencing huge changes in our lives . A fork in the road , where total trust in God is needed . As I dropped her off at work , we prayed like we do every morning . She seems to believe her day will go smoother if I pray before her work . So I pray . I pray about the fork in the road for both of us . I pray about the ditch . I pray about trusting Him . I pray about guiding us . I prayed quite beautifully . My darling daughter , Miss Negative of the year , interrupts with her negative comments on how this will never happen for her .
   I opened one eye and stared at her not saying anything . She quickly changed her tune . Sorry God , erase that last comment , words coming from her . I close my one eye and continue . I pray for her patience . And mine , too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...