Sunday, March 10, 2019

Gratitude Expiration

                                                                 Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                   everyday is a journey.


Faith's meanest deed more favor bears
Where hearts and wills are weighed,
Than brightest transports, choicest prayers,
Which bloom their hour and fade.
J. H. NEWMAN.

The weekend began like any other in the past few months. I dropped Emily off at work and came home to lay down for a few hours. Woke up at first light and headed out the door to do errands. Running from one place to another seems to be the norm on a Saturday morning. Gone are the days where we spent them at home catching up. 

Finally arriving back at home, I quickly loaded the washing machine and had a shower. I had maybe 40 minutes or so before having to pick up Emily at work. It was then that I had this creepy feeling. You see, while in the shower, I heard the bathroom door being pulled close. I left it ajar. 

I swear, every hair on my back rose up in full attention. Here I am, butt naked in the shower and I am freaking out, because of the door closing. Talk about a Walking Dead moment. I got out and put on my bathrobe, slowly opening the door to peer out into the hallway. Suddenly, I see Emily sitting on the couch. She came home a little bit earlier than expected, A huge sigh of relief that it was only her. 

After getting dressed, I went back downstairs to put the clothes in the dryer. Someone took my clothes out and put their wash in. I had a feeling who it might be. You see, Emily heard her having a tantrum over my clothes being in the washing machine and my not taking them as soon as it was finished. She had a fit, but I can remember on several occasions where she left her laundry and went out for the day. Very funny, don't you think?

That same woman, who was cursing me out for the whole building to hear, was the same woman that I have helped on numerous occasions. I have this thing about single moms, because I was one. If there is one in the building, I would share extra food, bring freshly baked sweets or even help with things like providing her with my car supplies (motor oil, fluids etc).

For about a minute, I felt angry. Then I remembered an article I read a while back on gratitude.The writer of that article held the opinion that gratitude had an expiration date of about three months. No matter what one has done for another, that feeling of gratitude would last about three months. Then it is forgotten.

Don't get me wrong. I don't need to be hailed as a hero here at all. It is just the fact that all of my actions have been unappreciated. It meant nothing to her anymore. There is truth in that article. There are times where I am distressed at the world and what it is becoming. I am becoming old, my friends. I have joined the crowd that is waiting for the promised land from the Promised One.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...