Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The Day Before The Sabbath



,                                                                      Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                       everyday is a journey.
                                                             
Mutual love the token be,
  Lord, that we belong to Thee;
  Love, Thine image, love impart;
  Stamp it on our face and heart;
  Only love to us be given;
  Lord, we ask no other heaven.
C WESLEY.


When I was about 14 years of age, I visited my grandparents in Poland for the Summer. It was one of the best times of my life. During that time, I have learned many life lessons from watching and listening to my grandparents. 

Every Saturday, my grandparents worked around the farm house. They took care of all their inside chores like laundry, sweeping the paths and stairs. All the groceries and shopping of any kind was done. It was a very busy day, probably the busiest of the week. 

When Sunday came the only work that was done involved feeding the animals. There was Church in the morning, followed by a delicious meal. Sunday meant there was meat on the table, usually a chicken or rabbit was killed for that special delight. The day was spent relaxing indoors, taking a nap or just simply talking with one another. In the evenings, we watched a movie on the television drinking hot chocolate. 

I have long since kept these memories alive in my head. If I close my eyes, I can still picture my grandpa sitting at the head of the table. That was his chair and no one else sat there. I could see him taking a nap on the couch on Sundays with one hand placed under his head. My grandma would churn fresh butter every morning as I came down the stairs for breakfast. 

These memories will forever be burned into my soul. They had such a deep love and respect for the Sabbath that is lacking today. The knew how to rest. They knew what was important in life. I wish we would revert to the days of old. There is so much to learn there.

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...