Friday, March 17, 2017

Something To Read

                                          Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


We cannot kindle when we will

The fire that in the heart resides,
The spirit bloweth and is still,
In mystery our soul abides:
But tasks in hours of insight willed
Can be through hours of gloom fulfilled.
MATTHEW ARNOLD.

From time to time, I post some of my favorite books that I've read. Last Summer, I made a commitment to reading more and not just acquiring books. The following are some of the latest books I've read. Hope you can enjoy these as much as I have.

The Precious Present
By: Spencer Johnson
When I first opened this book, I wasn't sure if it was a child's book or an adults. As soon as I began reading, I realized this is a story in poem form. I have to admit that I was completely taken in trying to decipher what the precious present could possibly be. I almost took a peek at the end to see the answer, but I didn't. There is a great moral reminder here so it came to no surprise that this book has been a favorite for many years. 

Last Year's Resolution
By: Robert Lampros
It seems that lately I have been reading a lot of spiritual self help books. This is not one of them. This is a story of a Christian writer and a journalist. This is their love story formed right before the End Times. As I read the story, I could see what the author was trying to convey. My only fault with the book (and many others that choose this subject to write about) is that they never portray the End Times in the horrific manner that surely will occur. Whenever I think about the Book of Revelations, I think of Resident Evil or The Walking Dead. I have no qualms, fantasies or illusions that it will be horrible here on Earth.  

Jesus Among Many
By: Ravi Zacharias 
I've been wanting to read this book ever since I have heard an interview Dr. James Dobson had with Ravi. He spoke about this book and my interest was piqued. My desire to  learn more on the subject of different religions and Jesus, is a thirst that cannot be denied.  This book answers the question What makes us different from other religions. 

All About Me
By:Philippe Keel
I've held onto this book ever since my Joey was a small boy. It is not a book one reads, but instead fills in answers about themselves. I consider this a great book for a tween or teenager as they rediscovers themselves. The questions range from the personal to the historical to memories to fears that they may have. There is a section, a very small two page, on sexuality that would not be appropriate for youngsters. In fact, I have torn that out since I'm thinking of passing on this book to my 14 year old grandson. . . . with his parent's approval, of course. 

I hope you will enjoy these as much as I have. Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...