Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Scorching Heat

                                                   Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                   everyday is a journey.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm over this heatwave! June was absolutely gorgeous weather and my heart was aching for a balcony to enjoy the cool evening breezes. July was quite the opposite! Heatwave after heatwave ensued where going out was almost unbearable unless one headed out to the beach. Hopefully, this scorching heatwave will end soon. I miss my open windows!

I became like all the other seniors venturing out at the stroke of 07:00 every morning before the sun came out for all my errands. I'm definitely becoming a fuddy duddy complaining about the constant air conditioner air, blinding sun streaking through the picturesque windows and the perpetual sweating whenever one headed outdoors for any kind of activity. 

This morning was no different from all the others as I braved the early sun, marching to the nearest mailbox. I have walked this path every morning for the last two months, waving to my two new buddies, each sitting on their own separate front porch. I have no idea what their names are as we never introduced ourselves beyond the usual banter. 

"Another hot one today."

"Looks like rain."

"You're a little later than usual."

It dawned on me that I've become Mrs. Micholsen, my next door neighbor when I was thirteen. Every morning, rain or shine, Mrs. Micholsen walked to the mailbox to post a letter and bought a newspaper. I always thought to myself that she must have a lot of friends to be mailing a letter every single day!

This is what my life has come down to where I get up, eat my toast and drink my coffee. Then I get dressed and head out to the mailbox or store for that milk or bread or other mundane thing that I probably don't need. Let's not forget my usual "Good morning" to my new nameless friends. What will they do when I go back to work? Most likely they'll find some new friend to replace me.

Peeking out my window now, I can see another retired neighbor sweeping his speck-less front steps. A regular daily ritual of his. I guess we're all  looking for something to do or at least make it look like we are busy. Is this what it has come down to? Next thing you know, I'll be sitting outside saying "Good morning" to all who pass by.                              

"Another hot one today."

"Looks like rain."

"You're a little later than usual."

Have a blessed day everyone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...