Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Reading List


                                          Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.

Mind, it is our best work that He wants, not the dregs of our exhaustion. I think He must prefer quality to quantity.
GEORGE MACDONALD.

I've always been a huge supporter of books, but throughout the last few years, I've found myself collecting them more than reading them. When did that happen? 

Somewhere along the way, I've developed a deep sense of busyness where I needed to be constantly doing something. Busy with my Ministry. Busy with my blog. Busy with work. Busy. Busy. Busy. I needed a sense of accomplishment that busyness entailed. Every space on my calendar had to be scribbled in with appointments or activity. I would subscribe to anything and everything so my e-mail folder was over brimming with mail. 

Remember the girl in the waiting room of the radiation dept.? So who am I trying to impress with all of this busyness? God desires quality not quantity. With that in mind, I've spent the last few weeks reading, actually sitting down and giving it all my attention. Instead of taking my crocheting to doctor appointments, I've taken a book to read. I have to be honest, I'm not in love with every book I have on my shelf, but I like the idea of diversity. The wider the topic, the deeper the knowledge.

In Touch Magazines
I have to say, these are my current reads. My friend Linda gave me tons of them so they vary from 2011 to 2013. All of them hold a special value in my heart, because Linda is no longer with us. Dr. Charles Stanley is a great teacher of the Word of God. It doesn't matter how outdated the literature might be, the words hold true for any generation.

Hard Questions, Heart Answers
By:Bernice A. King
This book was quite a surprise for me. The author happens to be Dr. Martin Luther King's daughter so right away my mind thought of something else entirely. I felt the title didn't fit the contents inside since it dealt more on social injustices, racism(and not just black) comparison of the world today vs. during her father's time. I did find her completely neutral and inviting on the above mentioned topics. I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting, maybe more of a personal comparison of views regarding her father? I felt the book was more of a college type read than reminiscing of her father's sermons and speeches, which it did imply on the cover. All in all, I found myself agreeing to many of her proclamations. 

Simply Gospel, Simply Grace
By: Bob Christopher
This book is actually one of Emily's. The author generously and personably signed the book for her which I thought it was awesome. I read this book all in one sitting. This author knows what he is talking about. The problem is that he didn't tell me anything I don't already know. I hope I'm not sounding arrogant. If one is looking for a book to give to someone who is a new believer in Christ or someone who is looking for a beginner bible study, this is it. 

Trusting God In Times Of Adversity
By:Kay Arthur and Pete DeLacy
This is actually more of a bible study type of book. There are verses to look up and various activities to do on each day. If you are looking for a deeper kind of bible study, Kay Arthur is a great teacher, but there will be homework. I wrote all over mine with notes, personal feelings and any aha moments. I don't see myself passing this book on to someone else, because of all the personal notes I made in it. 

I hope that all of you will find the time to open up a book in the near future. I've come to realize that I've filled my life with busyness that really has no lasting value. All it did was stress me out. Is it any wonder that I had a meltdown? So silly, sit down and relax. It's okay to just do nothing. 

Have a Blessed day everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...