Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Gaining Contentment

                                         Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.

 O, my friend, rise up and follow 
Where the hand of God shall lead;
 He has brought thee through affliction, 
But to fit thee for his need.-
-Mary Howitt.


If you could have one thing in life, what would that be?
Answer:I want to be content.

Wow, that's pretty heavy and a wee bit difficult to achieve. How does contentment look like to you? That depends on the person. Everyone has their own version of contentment. There isn't one particular type that suits everyone. For me, contentment means being with the Lord in Heaven. I feel that it's the only place where I can truly, truly be content.

If we wished to gain contentment, we might try such rules as these:--
1. Allow thyself to complain of nothing, not even of the weather.
2. Never picture thyself to thyself under any circumstances in which thou art not.
3. Never compare thine own lot with that of another.
4. Never allow thyself to dwell on the wish that this or that had been, or were, otherwise than it was, or is. God Almighty loves thee better and more wisely than thou dost thyself.
5. Never dwell on the morrow. Remember that it is God's, not thine. The heaviest part of sorrow often is to look forward to it. "The Lord will provide."
E. B. PUSEY.

Quite a list, isn't it? I've been thinking a lot on this subject in the last few weeks. I've been so dissatisfied with so many issues that I have to ask myself, what exactly am I looking for? What would it take for that to change that dissatisfaction? It's easy enough saying I don't like the way things are going, but what am I going to do to make it better. We have this saying at work, don't come with a problem, come with a solution.

I wish I knew what that solution looked like. Sometimes, I think my attitude and behavior affects my dissatisfaction levels. Maybe if I concentrated more on the positive side of things, I wouldn't be so dissatisfied and instead more content. Quite a concept, isn't it?

Sometimes I think we carry around all the negativity where it becomes part of our being like an earring, a purse or that cellphone. We adapt to it's weight and soon forget that we can lay it down somewhere. We don't need to have it on all the time for us to exist or to feel.

What will that look like for me? Not exactly sure, but I do know, I'm pretty tired of lugging it around. I want to be content here on Earth and not just look forward to it as something for the future in Heaven. Remember, I've been waiting on the Lord, but He's been waiting on me. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...