Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Let The Music Play

I couldn't watch another TV rerun , so I decided to play the cassettes .
Excerpt from 90 Minutes In Heaven .

A friend of ours brought a CD player with a couple of CD's to the hospital to keep my mind occupied . I played those two CD's over and over again until scratches appeared on the disks . When I ran out of batteries ,  the nurses would go down to the Shoppe and pick up more for me . Music became my haven . 

When pain enveloped my body , music took me away . When boredom crept in , music entertained my soul . 

The funny thing is , I never heard of some of these hymns , but  I sure learned them by heart before I left the hospital . During my recovery at home , I began going to Church on a regular basis  and I sang all the worship songs out loud like a professional . 

Worship music reaches deep down into our soul and pulls out the emotions hidden there . They rise up and we begin to feel . 

Even now , as I drive to work or errands , I have found myself overcome with the expressiveness of my heart as the sweet music plays on . I could be singing along at the top of my lungs with             gratitude , happiness or crying softly filled with love . 

Music is powerful . 

One of my strongest memory from the early years with cancer happens to be with my therapist . She would come in , draw the shades to where it was dark .Turned off everything except the CD player . Speaking softly , she would tell me to close my eyes , breath in and out slowly , and imagine . . . . . . 

I would close my eyes and listen to the sweet soft sounds of rain         drops , tinkling of bells , the beach or whale songs , anything with nature  and I could feel my body relax . 

I will never forget this woman and what she has done for me . She taught me a vital bit of information . She taught me how to deal with pain . She taught me how to relax my body and my mind . 

The small things that can change someone's life . Someone thought of bringing a CD for me to listen to in case I became bored . Or an inspirational book . A skein of yarn and a hook . Look at me now . 

Have a Blessed day everyone . 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...