Tuesday, October 22, 2019

The Apple Picking Ways

                                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey


Thrice blest will all our blessings be,
  When we can look through them to Thee;
  When each glad heart its tribute pays
  Of love and gratitude and praise.
JANE COTTERILL.


I love Wisconsin. I could definitely live there surrounded by the small town Americana lifestyle. This time of the year, the leaves haven't quite turned yet, now more of a yellow than anything else. The day itself proved to be quite overcast with threatening rain showers. At least, that's what the forecast read a few days prior. It didn't matter to us, we were planning on making the day count no matter what the weather.

For a minute there I thought we might just make it through the day without the rain. Just as we headed out to the orchard, the heaven's opened up with such a heavy downpour! I had to smile to myself. For the past two years, my brother has been inviting me to go apple picking with him citing how much fun it would be. We have yet to succeed. Just another reason for me to keep coming back!

The time always goes by quickly when we are preoccupied with each other or other things. That's exactly what happened during our visit. It just flew by so fast! The next thing we knew it was over, the sky darkening with the evening hour. The ride home was a bit rough. I was tired from working all week and not getting enough sleep. It didn't help that it poured heavily all the way home. My joints were creaking and creaking! I couldn't wait to get home!

By the time I arrived back in my own place, the day was pretty much over. The building was super quiet and so was the apartment. Everyone was settled in for the night. A howling night outside as the storm raged on into the early morning. The day quickly turned into just a memory to hold dear for future reminisces. Inside the pantry sat on a shelf today's harvest of fresh maple syrup, new potatoes and orchard apples. Even though we didn't pick them ourselves, it still tasted delicious.


Have a blessed day everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...