Thursday, October 17, 2019

Counting Your Chickens Before They Hatch

                                                                Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                 everyday is a journey.




Thou layest Thy hand on the fluttering heart,
    And sayest, "Be still!"
  The silence and shadow are only a part
    Of Thy sweet will;
  Thy presence is with me, and where Thou art
    I fear no ill.
F. R. HAVERGAL.



About a week ago, we received notifications at work that we would have to shutdown the facility for about four days to transfer to a new IT Communications Program. The IT Team has been working on this for several months (most of the year) and finally were ready to implement the change.

Not much time was given to us and people were pretty upset. Majority of them do not have anymore vacation time to use for these four days. That would leave them with only one option, being off without pay. For anyone who has a family to take care of, that can be a huge financial loss. Now overtime was available, but many people were not choosing that route until this announcement was made. Suddenly, everyone was staying ten hours in the hope of preparing for those four days.

We adapted to the change that was coming, stayed extra hours and in a way, looked forward to those four days off. I definitely planned on staying in and trying to play catch up, but in a leisurely way, with all my projects. Others booked a trip elsewhere or made plans with their families.

We came in today to yet another notification. They were cancelling the four day shutdown until further notice. They were not ready to implement the necessary changes to our computer system. Sorry for the inconvenience. A mere five days before the event, they cancel it. Again, people were upset. We adapted. We made necessary arrangements. We looked on the bright side. Now we have to do it all over again another time.


This is a perfect example of counting our chickens before they are hatched. Contrary to what the general public think, people do adapt to situations. They may grumble. They may be upset, but they get over it quickly. That's what we did here. We daydreamed about the dinners we would have with our families. We daydreamed about relaxing and crafting to our hearts content. We just plain daydreamed. 

I am shrugging off the entire incident as nothing we can do about it and planning on moving on with it. Yet, there is that little bit inside of me that is a bit bitter. Maybe not bitter, but disappointed. I really enjoy all I do after work. I cannot stress to you how much my soul needs it. To others, it may seem like all this extra work, but not me. To me, it's pleasure. In should have known better than to get excited, because my work has always done things like this at the last minute. Yet, I believed them and counted my chickens. 

Like I said, we do adjust pretty quickly no matter what people say. I will too. Maybe an opportunity may arise for such a time as what we lost. Who knows? 

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...