Thursday, October 3, 2019

Fall Is Here!

                                                              Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                               everyday is a journey



Gather a shell from the strown beach
And listen at its lips; they sigh
The same desire and mystery,
The echo of the whole sea's speech.
And all mankind is this at heart--
Not anything but what thou art:
And Earth, Sea, Man are all in each.
--Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Lately, the temperatures have been as finicky as my mood, alternating between hot and cold. These are the last days before the weather shifts completely and the cold sets in for good. Along with the weather comes the Fall festivities and aromas. The falling leaves, all scattered in different shades of yellow, red and brown. As we drive along the woods, a picture perfect scene unfolds. So beautiful. So serene. So cold.

Fall has always brought on memories for me, some sad and some happy. Three of my children were born in the Fall. No matter how great the weather may be during this time, it's always a cold Halloween. I have many memories of going door to door, swaddled in coats and a cup of coffee in my hand. There were so many children, all dressed up, walking up and down the street. To this day, I still fill the same orange candy bowl hoping to maybe hear a doorbell or two. They don't come anymore. It's way too dangerous out there for them.

Fall means so many things for so many people. We each have our own interpretation of the Season. For me, I'm like the squirrel who collects her nuts and berries for the Winter. She gets her nest in order so she can be comfortable and snug during the cold, snowy days.

You know what I've noticed? Traditions change as we get older. I've read somewhere that we enter a state of change every ten years. I believe it to be true. My traditions have definitely changed. Last year, my older brother gave me a tour of his Wisconsin neighborhood in his Model T. The scenery all fiery display of color! We toured farm after farm, buying all the harvest that nature had to offer. Guess, what we are doing this year? Back to Wisconsin we go. It's Apple Picking time!

Happy Fall. Happy harvest. Happy memories.


Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...