Monday, August 28, 2017

The Workday

                                                             Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.                                  



Discouraged in the work of life, 
Disheartened by its load, 
Shamed by its failures or its fears, 
I sink beside the road;-- 
But let me only think of Thee, 
And then new heart springs up in me. 
S. LONGFELLOW.


No where else do we spend so much of our time as in the workplace. We love, hate and gossip there more than anywhere else. Many people find love, have affairs and break up over and over again right in the workplace. I should know, I had a few of my own. In my youth, that is. 

Yet, it is one of my major struggles. I've been there for over 22 years and I guess there are no more surprises or challenges for me. I'm tired. I'm bored and I'm ready to leave. I always thought I would retire like everyone else at the ripe age of social security. I don't know if I can last that long.

Everyday I hear my fellow co-workers speak disparagingly about our work life. Honestly, it's not the company, but just work in general. Very few people out there truly enjoy their jobs. They are usually the career people with degrees who have chosen their professions. You see, our profession chose us, because of our bad choices in our youth. We also could have had that career if we dedicated ourselves and made better decisions. I'm not trying to create bad feelings here among everyone. I also made poor decisions which have led me down a difficult path and here I am, hopefully a little wiser for it.

All in all, I feel I have rather done well in life. I may not be wealthy or hold a career, but I was able to raise my children in pretty much middle America. I may not hold a degree, but I do have a job that pays well with insurance, benefits and a pension. By the time I retire in five years, I will be 100% debt free. I think that's pretty good for someone who was a single mom. Trust me, I'm not applauding myself here, because I could have done so much more with my life. 

Like I have said many times before, I struggle immensely in my workplace. I have heard many a sermons on the subject of work and how we as Christians need to look upon our jobs as serving God. It is extremely difficult for me. Somehow, I haven't been able to view it that way. Instead, I put on a smile and walk in every single day with a renewed hope that today will be different. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I do know one thing, everyday is a brand new day. Whatever happened yesterday no longer exists. That's how I look at my workplace. No matter how bad it may become, tomorrow we begin anew. Thank goodness for that!

Have a blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...