Wednesday, August 16, 2017

The Six Year Plan:The RV

                             Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


Truly God follows us with encouragements: 
let him not lose his blessing upon us! 
They come in season, 
and with all the advantages of heartening, 
as if God should say
 "Up and be doing, 
and I will stand by you and help you!"
 There is nothing to be feared 
but our own sin and sloth.
--Oliver Cromwell.

The minute I saw my brother's Rv, I fell in love with it. I could also envision myself living there. The space was just amazing. Who knew that an RV had so much storage and room available all hidden neatly away. He did graciously offer me a weekend trying it out, Of course, that never materialized as life interfered once again. Eventually, he sold it a few years later.

That Rv spurred me on to do as much research as I could on the upkeep, living full time in it, the costs etc. I wanted to see if it would check off everything on my list. For a very long time, an Rv remained on top of my list as the perfect home for me. 

Unfortunately, an Rv really has been a seasonal home, built mostly for camping. It does provide heating and cooling using propane or you can hook up to the grid when in a park. Either way, it can become costly and besides, the insulation is quite poor. Now, don't confuse a mobile/park model home where it's basically stationary. That is totally different from what I am speaking of here. 

I have watched numerous YouTube videos of folks living in hot temperatures like Arizona or in cold temperatures like Washington while in an Rv. All say the same thing. It is a great experience except for a couple of things. 

1. While it can heat or cool, the poor insulation does not retain the temperature. One has to heat or cool the entire time. Hence, the cost of propane or maybe if one has hookups in a park (or private land) they are cheaper. Not really sure.
2. The water pressure isn't all that great, especially in the shower. 
3.There is always something breaking down, especially if you are mobile. 
4. Critters seem to get inside.

Now, while number #2 and #3 don't really matter to me. I think it is workable and I would be stationary. Number #4 I can do something about it by getting a cat and making sure there are no gaps anywhere. Also, plenty of peppermint everywhere. Number #1 would be a problem for me.  I could stay warm and cool, but the cost would not be worth it. 

Again, I am only going by what others have complained about the most when it comes to Rv living. Majority of them can be bought used and quite inexpensively, too. That can be a problem in itself. There have been complaints of mold issues, because of leaking water. The refrigerators seem to gunk out and new ones are very, very expensive. Yeah, the upkeep can become pricey. 

One can purchase a brand new model for the cost of a brand new home. That's how expensive they run. Another thing to remember, they are made to travel in seasonally, not live in permanently. It would be much better to purchase a park model/mobile home. Having weighed all of my options, I can see it would not be a doable and cost efficient way to go. So the search continues.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...