Sunday, December 8, 2019

The Hardest Commandment To Follow

                                                               Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                               everyday is a journey.


He prayeth well who loveth well
    Both man and bird and beast;
  He prayeth best who loveth best
    All things both great and small;
  For the dear God who loveth us,
    He made and loveth all.
S. T. COLERIDG

The photo above is courtesy of my friend Cindy Alvarado who visited her homeland of Ecuador and brought back these beautiful photos for us to enjoy. 


As the week unfolded to yet another stressful month, I've come to realize a very important fact. The hardest commandment to follow happens to be love thy neighbor. That statement alone does not just include the guy next door, it includes everyone on the planet. Can you love everyone?

It is so easy to love the people we like at work, at home or that nice barista at your local coffee shop that always gets your coffee right. What about the person who has different views on politics, religion, moral values or just plain race? Wait! Don't answer right now. Let's wait until 2020 when the presidential race takes center stage. Will you be able to love THOSE people then? You know which ones I mean. The ones who believe the opposite of you.

I know what you're going to say. Lottie, they are different than us. Not everyone is nice or deserving of my love. That murderer in prison does not deserve my love. That cheating spouse to whom I gave everything does not deserve my love. That awful co-worker who bullies everyone does not deserve my love. You don't know what they have done to me. To my family. To someone I love.

In the Bible we are commanded by Jesus to love our enemies, but yet that is the most difficult task. I am always amazed at people I know who can do that. Yes, they exist, usually they are way older. I believe it has taken them a lifetime of growing spiritually to achieve it. I want to be that person. I really do. I want to love everyone no matter what they have done to me.

It begins, I believe, with forgiveness. We have to allow forgiveness into our hearts on a daily basis. It has to reside inside of us all the time in case we need it immediately. We could be driving along and someone cuts us off. We may have to pull it out instantly and instead of cussing that person out, we have to bless them. Easier said than done. Oh Lord, give me strength. Cover me with Your righteousness and grace. Open my heart to love even the most undeserving as you have loved me. Can you open your heart? Let's try together.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...