Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The Gathering That Went Missing

                                       Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.


If happiness has not her seat
And center in the breast,
We may be wise or rich or great,
But never can be blest.
—Robert Burns.


Thanksgiving . . . . such a wonderful time for giving thanks and spending time with family. Yet, there are more sad people than the thankful whenever a Holiday rolls around. Even I am feeling a bit down thinking of all the dinners we would have as a family. Not just my children, but the entire family. Yeah, used to have.

 Remember those dinners involving 20 to 30 people? All of them sitting around tables and chairs that didn't match. There was always the kids table off in a corner somewhere. Even the kids didn't want to sit there. We would all gather, the aunts, the uncles, the cousins, the in-laws. All the people that you only see during the Holidays.

There would be noise and lots of it. Everyone would be talking over each other. After dinner, we would split up into teams and play a game like trivia pursuit or charades. When it was over, the house would look like a tsunami hit it. Everyone would scamper off into their bedrooms wanting to de-stress from all these people. Another successful holiday family gathering was over, until next time.

So how come we don't gather anymore?

That's a good question. I often wondered why that was, but I don't think we are the only family who has stopped doing that. Whenever I mention to people how much I miss these huge family gatherings, they also say the same about their family. Has this become the new Holiday tradition? Only spending time with the intermediate members of your household?

For one thing, people move away from home more now than ever before. They move to another state or several hours away. This is partly the reason within my own family. Secondly, preparing the Holiday meal for 20-30 people can be very taxing. Many families have taken to sharing the load with everyone being designated a certain dish. Thirdly, families fight. This one will not come if that one will be there and so forth. Unfortunately, this is quite normal in all families.

I miss the gatherings. Maybe these feelings of mine are based more on the fact that I am a neutral person. I don't sway one way or another when it comes to family members. I don't choose a side, because in doing so, the family will separate. I don't want separation. I want unity. I want all of us to gather. So how do we unite an entire family? I don't know. You tell me. What would it take for your family to gather? For all of you to come under the same roof and break bread? I really want to know, so tell me.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...