Sunday, August 25, 2019

Reflections On Radiation

                                                      Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



Like the star
That shines afar,
Without haste
And without rest,
Let each man wheel
 with steady sway
Round the task that
 rules the day,
And do his best.

Radiation, my nemesis. I still shudder at the mere thought. It was five weeks/25 days total and did the most damage to my joints than all the other chemo treatments combined. There are foods to this day that I cannot have too much of or I will be sick. Radiation did the trick alright, in more ways than one. In fact, my radiation doctor has been so far, the only one to tell me that I will have problems with osteoporosis, because of it. My Oncologists look at me like they have never heard of any cancer patient with joint/arthritis issues. Yet, ask any cancer survivor if they suffer from bone loss of any kind and see what they tell you.

Thank goodness that radiation is a one time thing or at least for me. I do know some people who had it more than once. Perhaps because of the length of time in between? I asked my oncologist if I would have radiation again and she told me no. Radiation does way too much damage to be repeated like chemotherapy. Okay, I believe that is an omission of sorts.

If I had to do it again, I think I would be more open towards it than I was back then. Then, I didn't even try. I bolted from it with full speed ahead. Maybe my experience would have been more meaningful? More beneficial to someone else? It's hard to say now, but it did teach me a few things. From that experience came forth The Chronic Illness Group on Facebook.

When we are going through a trial, whether medical or not, no one wants to be reminded that we can handle anything that comes our way. We don't believe that we are capable of becoming even stronger because of it. That's not something we see. In fact, we cannot see anything except the darkness that surrounds us. We want someone to nurture us and take care of us. We want to be carried like Footprints in the Sand.

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...