Wednesday, August 14, 2019

A Ct. Scan Prep

                                                               Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                                everyday is a journey.


When ranting round in pleasure's ring
Religion may be blinded:
Or if she gie a random sting,
It may be little minded:
But when on life we're Tempest-driv'n—
A conscience but a canker,
A correspondence fixed wi' Heav'n,
Is sure a noble anchor.
—Robert Burn


I've had numerous Ct. Scans over the years. In fact, they have been the norm every three months. One would think that I would be quite used to the taste of the barium sulfate cocktail, but I hate every bit of it.

You will need to fast for at least three to four hours before your Ct. Scan. Arrive one hour before your scheduled appointment. That's very important, because you will need that hour to drink that cocktail. The trick to finishing that cocktail lies in gulping it down as fast as you can. Pinch your nose and down it goes. Once, the technician gave me a glass full of ice, claiming that this technique works the best. All lies. The ice kept getting in the way of the gulping technique. The ice also began to melt and actually added more liquid to the cocktail. They do provide a straw, but I find that it makes the liquid linger in your mouth. Hence, an after taste stayed on your teeth and gums. Yuck!

Once you get called in, the technician prepares your veins for the contrast injection. I've always had the same techs so I've never had a bad experience. I offer up both arms/hands for inspection and let her choose the best one for the job. The scan itself is quite harmless unless you are afraid of tight/close quarters. It lasts about 20 minutes, more or less. They have always offered me a glass of water or orange juice afterwards, but I decline each time.

In the car, I have my iced jug of water ready to help cleanse that garbage out as soon as possible. It also steadies my tummy since the scan makes me queasy. All the way home,  I keep drinking my water and I nibble on a piece of toast, bagel or something light. You don't want to eat something very heavy and rich right afterwards, because of the queasiness.

Another tip: Save all your parking receipts and doctor referral forms. You can claim medical mileage to and from your appointments on your taxes. The same with any parking fees, so save all that info for later. Otherwise, keep yourself very hydrated through the rest of the day and eat light meals. Breathe in and out normally until your test results are in. That's another blog post!


Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...