Wednesday, March 21, 2012

What Is A Pet Scan ?

       Pet Scan
                    Positron Emission Tomography . A small amount of radioactive sugar is injected into the bloodstream . Growing cells use sugar . Rapidly growing cells such as cancer cells take up the sugar and can be seen on 3 dimensional imaging .

     I had my very first Pet Scan  this past Monday . Even though , I've had cancer for 5 years now , I've always had CT scans . Let me tell you folks , I've had so many CT scans done that I could drink that awful liquid without making a face .
     I've heard of cancer patients having a Pet scan but never I . I wonder why ? Can you imagine my surprise and yes , excitement , when my doctor sent me for one ? Thinking that the scan was similiar to the Ct scan  I prepared myself by fasting from food and drink from midnight on . I am  , after all , a professional .
   Full of confidence and ease ,   I head out for my Pet scan without fear or foreboding  unlike the last few appointments I've had . Even though this was a complete new location for me , didn't bother looking up the directions , being in the same area of my other doctors . No need for my GPS . Of course ,  I got lost .
   Once there , I quickly learned that this kind of scan was no way the same as my CT scan . Fasting from food 4 hours prior and you could drink water . No awful liquid to drink . They give you a shot of the glucose . No need to undress from waist down . In fact , it was quite nice .
   The experience of being in a tunnel ( like a MRI ) was a little unnerving but I soon relaxed after closing my eyes  and taking a small nap . You are in there for 26 minutes . I did have an unnerving thought . What if there was a power outage ?!  What if I got stuck in here and couldn 't get out ?!
   At least , the technician had a good laugh when I told her .Yeah , a Pet Scan ? Piece of cake .That kind of test I'll do anytime .
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...