Saturday, October 22, 2011

Why Are We So Afraid To Die ?

  We , as Christians , have been taught about Heaven.We look forward to seeing Christ face to face.We know that it is a place filled with love , where sorrow and pain doesn't exist.It is a paradise unlike we have ever known.
  Yet, we are so afraid to die. We fight for every breath to stay here.Yet , we know there is something so much better.Something so unbelievably great we can't even imagine it.Why do we do this?Why are we so afraid of dying and going to Heaven?
  I know what I'm afraid of .....I'm afraid of what will happen to my children .I want an affirmation that they will be okay.I'm afraid of having not lived to my full potential.That life has passed me by because I have let it.I'm afraid of what I might not be able to experience like a grandchild.But most of all I am afraid of the pain of dying.
  I don't want to die a painful death.I don't want to burn to death;or drown ; or get shot or worse .....tortured.I just want to close my eyes and POOF I'm in heaven.I think thats what we all are really afraid of.Its not the dying but the experience of dying.We want it to be nice and easy and comfortable.We want to look good in our coffins.
  How many times have we made light of our own funerals. Told our loved ones what kind of songs we want played.What clothes we want to be wearing or last requests that we may make of them.I was in that same place as everyone else.Now , since my first bout with cancer, none of that  matters to me.Somehow , I know that when the time comes , I will follow without a backwards glance.Even though , I will be scared...I'm scared now.

1 comment:

  1. There just aren't any easy answers, Lottie. When I said good bye to my father many years ago, I cried and cried until there were no more tears in me. I accused God of not caring. Then I found the story of Jesus crying at the tomb of Lazarus and I knew Jesus understands. Jesus understands. Jesus understands...

    ReplyDelete

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...