Friday, May 8, 2020

30 Days Of More: The End




The end of 2019 left a bitter pill for me to swallow. For the past two years, I have been dealing with a new insurance carrier that would not approve any of my Ct. scans or Petscans. My Oncologist would set up new appointments for a scan and list all the reasons behind it to no avail. The Insurance carrier would not budge. Their final assessment always ended with the same sentence: No probable cause found for a Petscan or Ct.scan. What?

No probable cause? I have a recurrent carcinoma, stage 3 ovarian cancer. I am a four time cancer survivor spanning twelve years. No probable cause? Are you kidding me? On the outside, I wrote a few posts commenting here and there on my blog, acting nonchalant about the entire experience. On the inside, I was fuming! I was left feeling angry, disappointed and disillusioned about the need for insurance in the first place. This insurance was useless to me and I felt they were taking my money without any gain to me. I might as well not even have insurance.

I must clarify that for the twelve years with cancer, I followed a very strict routine set by my Oncology Team. Every three months, like clockwork, I would have a Ct. scan or Petscan, lab work and a visit with my Oncologist. If anything turned up positive for cancer growth, we would start the treatment immediately happy to have caught it early. If everything was fine, I strolled off into the sunset feeling safe and secure until the next scheduled appointment.

There was a strong sense of security in that routine and one that I miss terribly. That was my more and without it I felt vulnerable.  I may have complained at times at always going to the hospital for an appointment, but I liked it. The more tests were done, the safer I felt. The more treatment I received, the stronger I felt. I didn't worry about my cancer, because I had an entire team keeping me healthy and alive. That's huge. Who wouldn't want that?

Then suddenly, the rug of safety and security is pulled from under me. That security blanket is snatched away and my more is gone. Nowadays, they just do a physical and some labs, that's it. That is my entire more. No more Ct. scans. No more Petscans. No more every three months. In fact, the majority of the Oncology Team is brand new. What do they know of the more that I need?

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...