Monday, January 2, 2023

Voluntary Solitude

 

                               Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.




Unite, my roving thoughts, unite

In silence soft and sweet;
And thou, my soul, sit gently down
At thy great Sovereign's feet.
P. DODDRIDGE.


If there is one thing that the year 2020 has taught me is that all of my thoughts on solitude have been wrong. Yes, wrong. I have always dreamt of living alone somewhere atop a mountain away from everyone else. As long as I had internet, I would be fine. I imagined a helicopter dropping off supplies as I lived out my longing for solitude. Another more realistic scenario, I would take an entire Winter to hibernate coming out in Spring to rejoin the world.

Either way, the peace of solitude is something I have longed for and looked forward to as retirement looms. Why? Because I am tired. This world exhausts me at times and I fear my place in it. 

Silent. Still. Peace. Solitude.

I have always been fascinated by people who go off into the wilderness away from civilization. Why do they do it? Strangely enough, it's not to run away from people, but to be more in tune with nature. When we are surrounded by silence, one can be open to hear all sorts of things. The peace and serenity of being still.

The beautiful song of the birds. 

The bumble bee buzzing around from flower to flower.

The sound of the plane off in the distance.

The endless chitter chatter of the squirrels.

The beauty of silence is refreshing. We are surrounded by constant noise and our minds become cluttered with so many unnecessary vibrations. Is it any wonder the world is so angry? So rude? It needs to de-stress from the chaos. Our hearts crave for solitude, for peace, for a sanctuary.

We need the solitude. 

One can be surrounded by people and still feel lonely and empty inside. Being open to everything around us expands our hearing what people's hearts are saying. Really hear. Block out the unnecessary and allow the necessary to come in, becoming one in tune with the silence. 

Be still and know that I am God.

Be still.

Know me.

Can you hear Him? 

Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...