Monday, October 9, 2017

Radiation Part 2

                                                 Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.



O yet we trust that somehow good
Will be the final goal of ill,
To pangs of nature, sins of will,
Defects of doubt, and taints of blood;

Radiation . . . . also called radiotherapy, uses high energy x-rays to killer cancer cells or stop them from growing. Today, we will talk about the side effects of radiation therapy and some of the questions we should ask our doctor. 

Here are some suggested questions to ask you doctor. 
1. If I'm getting radiation after surgery, will it kill any cancer cells left behind?
2. What kind of radiation am I getting?
3. What are some of the side effects of this radiation?
4. Are there any helpful hints in dealing with these side effects?
5. How do we know the radiation is working?
6. How will I get radiation, how often and for how long?
7. Will I be able to work during treatment?
8. Will the treatment or side effects change the way I look?
9. How long will the side effects lasts?
10. Does my insurance cover radiation?

Here are some common side effects. Of course, these can vary depending on the individual and radiation type. 
1. Feeling very tired. 
2. Skin changes over the treated area.
3. Not wanting to eat
4, Diarrhea 

It is no secret that I didn't like radiation. Today, I had an appointment with my General Practitioner. As I drove there, memories came flooding back and I literally wept at the thought of going through it again. That memory was as fresh in my mind as if it happened the day before. Treatment is no joke. Some of us may handle chemotherapy beautifully, but cringe at radiation. Or vice versa. May God bless each and every one of you. May He keep you healthy and safe within His loving arms. 

Have a Blessed day everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...