Friday, April 22, 2016

The Anniversary

                                                    Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                    everyday is a journey.

Old friends, old scenes, will lovelier be,
  As more of heaven in each we see:
  Some softening gleam of love and prayer
  Shall dawn on every cross and care.
J. KEBLE.

Nine years ago, on May 25, 2007 I had my surgery to remove my seven pound tumor. That's when my journey began. It seems almost ironic that here I am, once again, having a surgery in the month of May, nine years later. It seems only normal for me to think back and reflect on where I was and where I am now.  

There are many differences here. One, I was in severe condition then so it's no wonder my recovery was so very difficult filled with many setbacks and complications. Two, I had no idea what cancer was all about. I was absolutely naive and I certainly approached it in that matter. Three, I felt it was a one shot deal where I would have the surgery and chemotherapy and I would be done forever. Cancer would never return again.

When I first learned of the upcoming surgery, my first thoughts were in total panic. I'm being honest here. There are some places we never want to go back to and this was certainly one of them for me. All the horrible memories flashed before me of what once was and I panicked. There was no way I would go through this again. 

Now my thoughts are different. I still may have some trepidation regarding my recovery, but at least I understand the absolute need for it. I understand what cancer is and how it affects my life. I have accepted this journey and hope to help others come full circle with their chronic disease as I have. 

So as the month of May approaches, Happy Anniversary to me as my journey continues. 

Have a Blessed day everyone.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...