Wednesday, June 8, 2016

The Chemo

                                                       Everyday is a brand new day,
                                                       everyday is a journey.

So yesterday was my first dosage of chemotherapy. Believe me, after signing in, I made a beeline towards that coffee table in the waiting room. It sure tasted good. Why wouldn't it? It was barely 8:30 in the morning and I've already been up for hours. 

Was it a difficult experience? No. Chemo is an old friend. I'm so familiar with it that it almost feels comforting. Does that sound crazy? I know what to do with the symptoms and what to expect from it. I know how long they will last and when they will begin. No, chemo is not torture to me. 

I made jokes with the lab people. I was able to catch up on the latest from all the chemo nurses. I've been coming there since 2011, I am almost like family. I know their names and they know me. 

Chemo is familiar. Chemo is a friend to me.

My roommate, on the other hand, felt otherwise. She was miserable, unhappy and definitely angry. For all of my jovial attempts to bring her out, she didn't take the bait at all. I think I aggravated her instead. Emily said that not everyone can be like you, mom. I felt sorry for that woman and I pray she comes to terms with her disease. 

On my way out of the parking garage, I began to feel the metal mouth symptom. Halfway home, tiredness overcame me, followed by nausea. I wanted to get home as soon as possible and go to bed. This was the first time that I ever felt the symptoms so early. Usually, it's only the fatigue and that doesn't happen until the evening. I'm thinking it could be because I didn't bring any snacks with me so I was pretty hungry by the time I left. By the time I did get home it was after 1p.m. sand it was time for lunch. 

So, all in all, I'm recovering at home. Taking easy and sleeping whenever possible. Resting and reading.

Have a Blessed day everyone.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...