Monday, April 30, 2012

On The Eve Of May

    Woke up this morning to alot of commotion outside my window . Peeking out , I noticed some workmen across the street . . . . briefly . What really caught my eye was the weather . A person walking , wearing a heavy coat . The windy sway of the trees . The gloomy overcast . . . no hint of sun . A small drizzle here and there .No hint of summer on the eve of May .
    As I settled in my bath , reading a book of poetry , I came upon a poem about the ice cream man . I thought of summer and the children when they were small . How the ice cream truck would park itself outside our house waiting for the four of them to burst out barefoot for some ice cream . The four ? My Joe and Emily right along with their two cousins , Kathy and Carol . They could hear that ice cream truck miles away !!! Used to hate that truck . Wish he would park it somewhere else . He knew my kids were faithful clients !
     The Ice Cream Man
      by: Rachel Field
When summer's in the city
And brick's a blaze of heat
The ice cream man with his little cart
Goes trundling down the street

Beneath his round umbrella
Oh,what a joyful sight !
To see him fill the cones with mounds
Of cooling brown or white

Vanilla , chocolate , strawberry
Or chilly things to drink
From bottles full of frosty fizz
Green , orange , white or pink

His cart might be a flowerbed
Of roses and sweet peas
Thde way the children cluster round
As thick as honeybees

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Being Still

                                Everyday is a brand new day, everyday is a journey.   When thou hast thanked thy God For every blessing sent...